Music News

Travis Scott gives first interview since Astroworld tragedy

Getty_TravisScott_120921
Rick Kern/Getty Images)

Travis Scott sat down with Charlamagne tha God for his first interview following last month’s Astroworld tragedy that left 10 people dead and many others injured.

In the hour-long interview posted to Charlamagne’s YouTube page Thursday, the rapper reiterated that he did not know the extent of the tragedy until after the show. He also denies hearing screams for help from the crowd that would have caused him to shut things down.

“You can only help what you can see and whatever you’re told, whenever they tell you to stop, you stop,” Travis said.

Charlamagne asked Travis about the “raging” he encourages at his shows and whether that contributed to what happened.

“It didn’t feel like, you know…people didn’t show up there just to be harmful,” Travis said. “People just showed up to have a good time and then something unfortunate happened and I think we really just got to figure out what that was.”

“‘Raging’…they have a textbook definition, but in concerts we’ve grown it to be just the experience of fun,” he added. “It’s not about just…harm. It’s not about that. It’s about letting go and having fun, help others and love each other.”

Travis went on to stay he wants to help improve concert safety measures for the future, so something like this never happens again.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.