Golf legend Tiger Woods shared a positive update on his recovery progress after sustaining serious injuries in a rollover crash last month.
Woods, who suffered “significant orthopaedic injuries” from the wreck, took to his Twitter late Tuesday night to alert his followers that he has been discharged from the hospital.
“Happy to report that I am back home and continuing my recovery,” he said in a statement. “I am so grateful for the outpouring of support and encouragement that I have received over the past few weeks.”
The 45-year-old professional golfer continued, “Thank you to the incredible surgeons, doctors, nurses and staff at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. You have all taken such great care of me and I cannot thank you enough.”
“I will be recovering at home and working on getting stronger every day,” concluded Woods.
The golfer was sustained serious leg injuries in a rollover crash on Tuesday, February 22, in Southern California. The car he was driving, a Hyundai Genesis SUV, lost control when driving downhill on a segment of Hawthorne Boulevard that is known to be dangerous.
Authorities later stated that Woods will not face charges, adding investigators found no “evidence of impairment” when treating him at the scene.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told reporters, “We don’t contemplate any charges whatsoever in this crash” and that the wreck was “purely an accident.”
“Accidents are not a crime,” stated Villanueva.
As for how Woods survived such a serious accident, the sheriff explained, “Thankfully, the interior was more or less intact, which kind of gave him the cushion to survive what otherwise would have been a fatal crash.”
Woods was wearing a seatbelt, which authorities believe also saved his life.
By Megan Stone
Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.