Music News

Some victims in Travis Scott Astroworld stage-surge identified, cause of surge still being investigated

Getty_Astroworldevent_110721
Alex Bierens de Haan/Getty Images

As names of some of the victims emerged in the deadly stage-surge horror at the Astroworld Festival concert in Houston, the medical examiner is asking for the public’s help in identifying one young man who died in the chaos that erupted during rapper Travis Scott‘s performance.

The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences released a post-mortem photo of the 6-foot-2, nearly 500-pound man, who perished at Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, where he was brought after Friday night’s mayhem.

He was among eight concert-goers killed when throngs in the estimated crowd of 50,000 packed into NRG Stadium in Texas, and suddenly surged toward the stage, authorities said.

Three of the people killed were identified by either their families or the schools they attended.

The youngest victim who died was 14-year-old John Hilgert, a freshman at Memorial High School in Houston, according to a letter the school’s principal sent to parents.

Also killed was 16-year-old Brianna Rodriguez, a junior at Heights High School in Houston, and Franco Patino, 21, a senior at the University of Dayton in Ohio.

As previously reported, the concert bedlam unfolded around 9:30 p.m. local time Friday when the “the crowd began to compress toward the front of the stage,” Houston Fire Chief Sam Pena told reporters during a news conference Friday night.

At least 13 people injured remain hospitalized, including five under the age of 18, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told reporters during a briefing.

What triggered the surge is under investigation by the Houston Police Department. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said he has ordered the Texas Department of Public Safety to make state resources available to support the investigation.

Scott has since addressed the incident. He first posted a statement on social media saying he is “absolutely devastated” by what happened. He later shared updates on his Instagram Stories, saying he was “working closely with everybody to get to the bottom of this.”

His girlfriend, Kylie Jenner, also posted a statement via her IG Stories, which reads in part that she is “broken and devastated” by the incident, and that her “thoughts and prayers” are with those who lost their lives and were affected.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.