Music News

Michael K. Williams’ cause of death ruled an accidental drug overdose


Michael K. Williams died of an accidental drug overdose.

In a statement released on Friday to ABC News, the NYC Office of Chief Medical Examiner confirms that Williams died of an “acute intoxication by the combined effects of fentanyl, p-fluorofentanyl, heroin and cocaine.”

As previously reported, Williams was found dead in his Brooklyn apartment on September 6 at the age of 54. At the time of his death, WABC-TV reported that police found drug paraphernalia at the scene.  Williams was open about his previous struggle with substance abuse and subsequent recovery.

Since his passing, fans has continued to celebrate Williams and his work. Williams’ The Wire co-star Wendell Pierce was one of the first to weigh in on his passing, sharing a lengthy Twitter thread that began with, “The depth of my love for this brother, can only be matched by the depth of my pain learning of his loss…”

In addition to his celebrated roles as Omar Little in The Wire and as Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, Williams was most recently nominated for a 2021 Emmy for his role as Montrose Freeman in HBO’s Lovecraft Country.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.