- This event has passed.
September 17, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Calling all craft lovers! West Palm Beach nonprofit, Resource Depot, an organization tackling Palm Beach County’s growing waste problem by rescuing unwanted and excess materials, turning waste into wonder, while educating and inspiring the local community, is encouraging the community to get in touch with their craft side and join them for an adults-only Upcycle Weekend of events Sept 16-17 to make all the things! Think of it asa summer camp for adults before welcoming fall.
On Friday, September 16, attendees can flex their creative REuse muscles while enjoying live demos, tasty bites + hands-on local maker workshops where guests can sip and taste their way through Resource Depot’s Cocktails & Crafts event. Tickets are $45.
On Saturday, September 17, participants can explore workshop offerings led by local independent makers with an upcycling twist. Each 45-minute workshop guides attendee through the process of transforming everyday materials into premium handmade goodies to take home and show off. Guests get to choose three “make and take” activities to rotate between such as jewelry making, paper flowers, wall hanging macrame, fabric dying and more! Tickets are $65.
Weekend VIP Passes are also available for $95 which grants access to both Friday and Saturday events.
Cocktails & Crafts – Upcycle Day Kick Off With Resource Depot
Date: Friday, September 16
Time: 6-8 p.m.
Lineup of Makers:
- Jules Aron – The Healthy Bartender; Will demo her fresh take on the classic Mexican highball, the Paloma with Herradura blanco tequila, Hibiscus tea, Local Palm Beach Creamed Habanero Honey and Grapefruit Topo Chico.
- Sarah Cohen- Sarah’s Slow Jam; Enjoy samplings of her seasonal jams while Sarah shows you how to extend the life of leftover vegetables through easy refrigerator pickling using repurposed glass jars.
- Kindra Mogk – Kindra’s Kitchen ; Kindra will share how to uniquely slice cheese, fold meats and beautifully arrange them with fruits and other accoutrements on upcycled dishes, platters and other serving pieces you already have in your cabinets.
- Judith Knoop – Judith Knoop Designs; Judith will show how to create an eye-catching and unique floral arrangement by elevating a simple “grocery store” bouquet by incorporating greenery from your yard using containers you already own.
Link for more information: https://www.resourcedepot.org/events/cocktails-crafts-upcycle-day-kick-off
Upcycle Day With Resource Depot
Date: Saturday, September 17
Time: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Lineup of Local Makers
- Lauren Demary – Essence Therapeutics; Learn basic macrame knots and weaving techniques while reusing Resource Depot’s fiber materials to create a small wall hanging.
- Tara Ackerman – Greencycle Designs; Come play with paper! Using an assortment of interesting papers, tara will show you how to transform them into an “evergreen” bouquet of flowers using special folding tecniques.
- Darcy Hamilton – Vaxt.Hus; Darcy will share her tips and tricks for “growing new plants from other plants”. Using existing cuttings, create a plantscape with upcycled containers and other repurposed materials.
- Chelsea Odum – Resource Depot; Experiment with different techniques for working with found objects – like broken jewelry and other miscellaneous menagerie – upcycling them into a fun wearable accessory.
- Genevieve Rustchak – Reuse Rebels; Discover the myriad of ways to REvive old clothing and textiles by shibori dying with indigo. create a “shibori sampler” dish towel using a variety of different folding
- patterns. It goes without saying – this workshop is to “DYE” for!
Link for more information: https://www.resourcedepot.org/events/upcycle-day