By Naysimone |
- Sales of cassette tapes have been increasing over the last few years, but does that really mean the era of the Walkman is set to make a return? When you crunch the numbers, you might be surprised.
- Looking at figures from Forbes, cassette sales grew 74% in 2016 and another 35% in 2017. Last year, they were up an astounding 125%, says BPI.
- Which may look like a trend, but hold on. Of the 50,000 units that moved last year, three artists made up 1/3 of those sales: The 1975, Kylie Minogue, and Prodigy.
- Perhaps calling tapes a dead format is too harsh, but it seems like they’ll remain a novelty or something for collectors to keep.
- Which was your favorite format to listen to music? Have you embraced the new? How about gone back to the old?